Just a couple Thursday tidbits:
It’s been a while since I did a Thursday tidbits. Just a few things:
The beginning of school is always a whirlwind. September and October are also always a busy time personally: my birthday, our anniversary, birthdays of my mom, dad, and sister, my favorite season, the Maryland Renaissance Festival, two other family wedding anniversaries…and someone else always seems to be getting married in the fall. This year, it is my dear, imaginary friend Lisa, and I can’t wait for her wedding!
My blogging and reading have both been slow due to all my life happenings. I look at what I have read over the past few months and the pile is way too low. I’d love another snow-filled winter so I can hunker down and stick my nose in some books.
For now, a few things that MUST be shared:
- I’ve linked to the trailer in the past, but now you can view the whole short film, “Mary Anne Goes to the Market” online. Jason did an awesome job writing and acting in this, and you really must take 10 minutes to watch it. Especially if you are having a bad day – it is a mood lifter! I am so proud of our Whis-kid.
- This past Friday morning, my husband and I had the local news on to see what Hurricane Earl was up to. We were fortunate enough to be watching when the on-the-scene-weather-guy was joined on the beach by two guys that I can only assume are drunk as skunks. A brief bit of comedy ensued and we laughed and laughed, rewinding it to watch it over again. My husband wisely grabbed my phone and videoed the segment to save it for posterity on You Tube. You must turn up your volume (because the two gentlemen announce their arrival before appearing on camera) and watch the first 30 seconds of “Hewwl Yeah!”
I want fall to get here just in the hopes that things will slow down a bit! In the meantime:
Unfortunately, that is all I have today. I did start reading Mockingjay but I’m only about 50 pages in due to lack of time. Hopefully I can really get in to it this weekend!
One bad thing about being back at work is meetings. Some meetings are useless, some can be quite beneficial. I attended a meeting today that was beneficial for a good portion of it, but way too much time was wasted by a few people. I’ve decided that when you attend a meeting, you should be given a limited number of talking passes. Every time you want to talk, you surrender a pass. Once you use up your passes – no more talking. So much time is wasted by people who just want to hear themselves yammer.
Anyways, fun things on the internet this week!
Because it can’t wait another week: the hilarious Cleolinda does it again – Eclipse in 15 minutes!
The past week has been a blur, between the Fourth of July (which involved a couple different gatherings), working summer school, and some personal stuff that has kept me busy. (Nothing bad, just busy.) My sleep has also been terrible; many nights of 3 – 4 hours, no naps during the day. I am tired all day, yet come night, I can’t sleep. So I have not accomplished as much as I had hoped this week. This has also resulted in not finding as many awesome things on the internet to share! I just have one:
Eclipse with lolcats!
If you’ve never seen the rest of the lolcats on Pop Suede, they are worth checking out.
In other news, I received my seat assignment for the David Gray concert I am attending next month – front row! I am so excited!
I’m back from ALA and I think I have recovered! It was a great conference and I will write about it in the coming week. For now, to ease back in to the blogging habit, I thought I would do my old Thursday Tidbits to share stuff I am loving right now.
- Are you watching The Fabulous Beekman Boys on Discovery’s Planet Green? I am loving this show so much. Two NYC guys who have been together for 10 years buy a farm out in the country. They grow vegetables and care for 80 goats, some pigs and chickens, and one awesome llama named Polka Spot, with lots of help from Farmer John. They also make and sell soap from their goat milk. One of the guys, Josh, still maintains a job in NYC so he commutes every week, leaving Brent to work full-time at the farm. The editing, of course, really plays up the fights and drama, but you can tell Brent and John love each other and the life they have built. My favorite thing is that they have a goat cam in their barn, so you can go online to watch the goats (and Polka Spot!) whenever you want. I admit to pretty much having it open on a browser tab at all times. Goats are awesome.
- BP’s Coffee Spill – very funny! Less funny: an oil-soaked wave.
- If you didn’t follow Jamie’s Seventeen Magazine Project while she was doing it, it is worth going back and reading her blog about it, and what she has done since. The next time someone complains that all teens are getting less intelligent, show them this.
- Why LOST fans should start watching Fringe, if they are not already.
- A blind fox becomes a foster dad – very moving.
- I embrace this 100% - Why I’ll Never Be an Adult (strong language, FYI).
That’s it for today. Coming soon: ALA-related posts and pictures, MANY book thoughts, and why you should get your library involved with Wrestlemania this year!
Happy National Library week, and happy tax day! Today is the last day to ask your Congressperson to support libraries – ALA makes it so easy for you! Go send your email now!