- I have to admit up front that I did not like this as much as I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I think it boiled down to not liking Gabry. Her perspective was less interesting to me, and I found her to be very self-involved and capable of making extremely dumb decisions.
- The differences between Mary’s life in the forest and Gabry’s life at the ocean are interesting. I wondered if some of the differences could be related more to the passing of time since Mary was a teen, or if it was location. For instance, the zombies are called Mudo, not the Unconsecrated. A different type of zombie is explained; it was a mystery in the first one, but understood here, so I wondered if that was a zombie evolution over time?
- There is a crazy religious cult that gave me the creeps!
- Carrie Ryan builds this world further, and the back story explanations and developments kept me enthralled.
- Because of that, I will read the planned third book. I assume it will not center on Gabry as this did not center on Mary (confirmed), so I can’t wait to see the further developments in Ms. Ryan’s zombie world.
I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click from here to Amazon and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.