- It goes without saying – the cover is AWESOME.
- This is a pretty original concept. While it is not my usual type of read, I really enjoyed it. The story of who Mackie, the main character, is and the numerous characters that cross his path are extremely unique.
- That being said, at times I had a hard time stretching my imagination to really picture what the author was describing. I think this was more my fault. Fantasy is not my thing, and this reminded me of when I read Coraline and struggled to get a mental picture. I think readers who have better imaginations will have no problems at all.
- The Replacement is a great fall read – full of spookiness and scariness. The original setting is a character of its own.
- Yovanoff crafted some great characters besides the setting. I liked Mackie a lot, but I LOVED his sister and how fiercely protective she is of him. The characters have depth; this is not a shallow novel at all.
I can’t wait to start booktalking this one next week. I think it will appeal to a lot of my teens.
I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you click from here to Amazon and buy something, I receive a percentage of the purchase price.