Strings Attached by Judy Blundell. Published by Scholastic Press. Read in February, 2011. ARC provided by publisher at ALA Midwinter.
A Fast Five review:
1. I loved the setting: 1950 New York City.
2. I really enjoyed the ties to the mob and that the author didn’t just go with one real, famous mobster.
3. I find it interesting that several books came out this spring that featured characters hoping to “make it” in the NYC entertainment industry in the early 1900s (Vixen by Jillian Larkin, Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen).
4. I enjoyed this, but I didn’t love it. At times, it seemed to want to cram too much in, and at times I didn’t care about any of the characters.
5. I was left wanting to know more about the Corrigan Three!
Not a must read, but it is a good historical fiction. The author obviously spent time on research, plot, and characters.