Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker. Published by Bloomsbury in July 2011. Read in July, 2011. ARC provided by publisher at ALA Midwinter.
A Fast Five View:
1. Small Town Sinners is centered around a “Hell House” production put on by a southern evangelical church. Hell houses either weren’t around when I grew up or else we just never had them, but so many other elements of this book echo the experiences I had growing up in evangelical churches.
2. I loved how Ms. Walker handled Christianity in Small Town Sinners. She never gets preachy about religion, but she does not belittle believers.
3. Lacey is a realistic, relatable character. She questions many things, including her father, while remaining grounded and sure of her foundation.
4. The other characters are all written with depth and care, never feeling like Ms. Walker has fallen back on any stereotypes.
5. The New York Times published a review, so you should check that out!