Last year, I was able to list the things I was thankful for the day before Thanksgiving. This year, I am a week late, but I still wanted to ponder the things I am thankful for this year. In no particular order (with many a repeat, I am sure):
- my adorable, patient, loving husband
- my dogs Brinkley and Nia
- the time I had with Jake at the beginning of the year before losing him all too soon
- my family
- my friends
- my home library
- my home
- my cozy, warm bed
- sweatshirts, t-shirts, flannel pj pants, and cozy socks
- my health and the health of the people I love
- my job
- Disneyland and my upcoming visit there
- comfort foods like pasta, mac & cheese, chicken chili
- Diet Coke
- David Gray
- tv shows I love: Fringe, Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad, Community, Glee, Mad Men
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns
- ARCs, whether paper versions I receive in the mail like Across the Universe and Wither, or from Netgalley like We All Fall Down and Delirium
- the holiday season
- professional involvement through YALSA and other branches of ALA
- The Beekman Boys and their goats
- other animals that make me smile like goats, chickens, and bears
- the good luck one earns by waving hi to cows
- dogs and all the people who care for them
- Love Actually
- my DVRs
I hope you had a warm and comforting Thanksgiving!
The past week has been a blur, between the Fourth of July (which involved a couple different gatherings), working summer school, and some personal stuff that has kept me busy. (Nothing bad, just busy.) My sleep has also been terrible; many nights of 3 – 4 hours, no naps during the day. I am tired all day, yet come night, I can’t sleep. So I have not accomplished as much as I had hoped this week. This has also resulted in not finding as many awesome things on the internet to share! I just have one:
Eclipse with lolcats!
If you’ve never seen the rest of the lolcats on Pop Suede, they are worth checking out.
In other news, I received my seat assignment for the David Gray concert I am attending next month – front row! I am so excited!
I’m back from ALA and I think I have recovered! It was a great conference and I will write about it in the coming week. For now, to ease back in to the blogging habit, I thought I would do my old Thursday Tidbits to share stuff I am loving right now.
- Are you watching The Fabulous Beekman Boys on Discovery’s Planet Green? I am loving this show so much. Two NYC guys who have been together for 10 years buy a farm out in the country. They grow vegetables and care for 80 goats, some pigs and chickens, and one awesome llama named Polka Spot, with lots of help from Farmer John. They also make and sell soap from their goat milk. One of the guys, Josh, still maintains a job in NYC so he commutes every week, leaving Brent to work full-time at the farm. The editing, of course, really plays up the fights and drama, but you can tell Brent and John love each other and the life they have built. My favorite thing is that they have a goat cam in their barn, so you can go online to watch the goats (and Polka Spot!) whenever you want. I admit to pretty much having it open on a browser tab at all times. Goats are awesome.
- BP’s Coffee Spill – very funny! Less funny: an oil-soaked wave.
- If you didn’t follow Jamie’s Seventeen Magazine Project while she was doing it, it is worth going back and reading her blog about it, and what she has done since. The next time someone complains that all teens are getting less intelligent, show them this.
- Why LOST fans should start watching Fringe, if they are not already.
- A blind fox becomes a foster dad – very moving.
- I embrace this 100% – Why I’ll Never Be an Adult (strong language, FYI).
That’s it for today. Coming soon: ALA-related posts and pictures, MANY book thoughts, and why you should get your library involved with Wrestlemania this year!
Happy National Library week, and happy tax day! Today is the last day to ask your Congressperson to support libraries – ALA makes it so easy for you! Go send your email now!
It’s been a while since I last did Thursday Tidbits! I promise there will not be an April Fools prank in here.
Wow, all the snow we have been getting in the DC metro area has been crazy! We haven’t had school since Thursday. You would think that after a week off, I would be all caught up in things that need to get done, but no – I have wasted so much time just watching the snow and going out in it. The practical side of me says this is such a waste of time, but the rest of my disagrees. I have never seen this much snow fall in such a short amount of time. I find the snow so beautiful, and the cold always pleases me. It is also awesome that in a time of technology, Mother Nature can still make everyone pause. Extreme weather can bring out the best and the worst in people. My husband has been helping a lot of our neighbors dig out, and he’s also been helping people get cars unstuck. We lost count of how many times someone has gotten stuck driving down our residential road and cars just stack up behind them, waiting for the first car to dig out, but never getting out to offer to help.
I hope everyone is staying safe and warm whether facing the SnOverload or some other February weather. In the meantime, here are some Thursday tidbits!